12 Dec Wish List of Communication Junkies
A poll of random* folks asking them to comment on The State of Communication in our Union, yielded some of the following:
- I wish people would use the word ‘said’
Yes: “They said ‘This takes too long.’”
No: “They were going, ‘This takes too long.’”Dear God, No: “I was like, ‘This takes too long.’”
- I wish people would begin sentences without saying “I mean…”
- I wish people would find a substitute for ‘sucks’ unless they’re describing the action of a baby and her lunch.
- It would be so interesting if people thought of new ways to say things instead of shopping for phrases in the same old tired, over-used cliche stores.
- And how about stocking up on some verbs and adjectives that haven’t been used 8 zillion times in the last week. It’s mind-candy for word- folks to hear our language actually being USED!
- Some said they would even give up on ‘literally’ in exchange for numbers 1 and 2 above. Wow.
Do you have anything to add to such a Wish List? Let us know!
(* full disclosure: everyone who was polled is a FOLAW – Friend of Language at Work- so there may be some statistical bias.)
Let us help you help your staff. Check out our courses or feel free to call us directly at 202-298-7700.